
A few weeks ago I discovered young coconuts, an absolutely decadent treat that had been under my nose all along! Young coconuts are available in the DC area at Whole Foods, for just $2.50 each.
Here are some of my favorite uses so far. The best part is, just one coconut will yield all three!
Coconut Water: Coconut water is slightly sweet, deliriously fragrant and full of nutrients and electrolytes. With all due respect to Harvest Bay (and other makers of boxed coconut water), there is *nothing* like drinking the water straight out of the coconut (nature's box, if you will ;). I was also amazed at how much water each young coconut contained. I giggle with joy each time I thwack one open!
In addition to drinking straight, try blending with a touch of coconut meat, the juice from 1/4 lime, a touch of cayenne and a splash of sweetener (I use agave).
Exfoliating scrub: Blend together one part coconut meat with one part water. After its thoroughly blended, add in Epsom salt (which is known for is detoxing properties) til you have a grainy consistency. Voila!
Coconut meat pudding: Blend together one part coconut meat, one part water, one part chocolate (use organic syrup if you are feeling lazy ;) half part sweetener (I like agave), and a splash of vanilla. Blend until it has a pudding like consistency. Insanely good!
I would be remisc if I wrote a note about coconuts without mentioning how to open them. Believe me, its MUCH easier than you think! Essentially, thwack off the pointy part with a heavy knife or meat cleaver. Thats it! (But if you want a more thorough description, visit this play-by-play or watch this video)
For more information on young coconuts, check out these articles and blog posts:
- Young Coconuts by Priscilla at Foodielicious.com
- Health Benefits of Coconut Water
- Certified Organic young coconuts
- Several recipes, articles, etc at the Give it to me Raw community
![Reblog this post [with Zemanta]](http://img.zemanta.com/reblog_e.png?x-id=dcc86ead-3149-46cc-bbda-4e842b544eac)
No comments:
Post a Comment